|Alex Smith's Vortex|
|Vortex Discussion Group|
Vortex 3-wheel Vehicle
17' Wind Turbine
Bradly GT II Kit Car
1966 Ford Fairlane GT
Xantrex XW Monitoring/Logging Software
Search this site:
Due to cost of webhosting I may not be able to continue to provide this content free for much longer. I'm asking for your support by providing a donation to keep this site active. The only other choice that I have is to convert his site to one that is accessable only to subscribers, and I really don't want to go that route.
You can do so simply by clicking the button below and donating whatever you like.
To donate you can either use your PayPal account or a credit card (using secure authorization).
Donations can be for as little as $1.00
This page will give detailed information concerning exhaust modifications.
This task probably would be far easier if I were using an inline 4-cylinder engine, however I am using a 1994 Honda VFR750 engine which is a V-4 configuration. Initially I thought that I could use the stock 'tuned' exhaust system with a couple of modifications. Here is a picture of the original exhaust system (the front cylinders of the engine would be located towards the right).
For my application the collector was not only on the 'wrong' side, but it extended almost 3" below the bottom of the vehicle. Which taking into consideration the fact that the Vortex has less than 6" of ground clearance caused a major problem for me.
I ended up completely revamping the exhaust. Luckily with a little fore-sight I had acquired 2 complete stock exhaust systems so that I was able to mix and match multiple components to get the desired results as shown below. I was able to get the entire exhaust tucked neatly under the body without having anything protruding below to give me maximum ground clearance:
I started out with a 2" pipe and had the muffler shop expand one end to 3", I then ovaled it and pinched the middle so that the front slip-tube connections could go into it. Switching the front tubes so that they no longer crossed I was able to repoint them to the passenger side.
I then modified the rear tubes so that they were repointed towards the drivers side and coupled the together using the portion of the stock exhaust that used to go into the collector. I then joined this part with a bent portion of 2" pipe making sure that there was clearance with the oil pan and rear motor mount, and angled it into the collector. According to the muffler shop this modification should not hurt horse-power much (maybe 1-2 hp) and unless I was racing then should not notice the difference.
The outlet will go between the jack shaft and the lower portion of the engine subframe. Here is shot of completed exhaust and exit pipe location.
Now it should be a rather simple matter to put a muffler onto it, I will be probably be going with a 10" or 18" long spark arrester . I will hold off on this decision until I start foaming/glassing the body and see what fits best.
|© 2005-2010 Briery Mountain Enterprises, LLC
Creative Commons "Some Rights Reserved"
|Except where otherwise noted, this site is licensed under a Creative Commons License|